The second acclaimed One Dance UK Awards ceremony took place in Manchester on Saturday night, saluting the outstanding contribution of people working in dance across the UK.
One Dance UK, the sector support organisation for dance hosted the annual event in the dramatic backdrop of the Imperial War Museum North, as an opportunity for people in the industry to unite, celebrate, acknowledge and recognise the people who have made an impact on the vibrant UK dance landscape. A panel of expert judges, drawn from the dance sector reviewed thousands of nominations to arrive at a shortlist of nominees for each category.
Hosted by MC, dancer and director Jonzi D, the Awards went to a wide range of individuals, organisations and companies such as the Physical Support Team at London Contemporary Dance School, Magpie Dance, Scottish Ballet, and even to Tesco for their fundraising campaign DanceBeats. A rousing standing ovation was given to Dance Personality of the Year recipient Andrew Self (selected by public vote), who went viral earlier this year following his appearance on BBC’s hit-show, ‘Greatest Dancer’. The prestigious Jane Attenborough Award for Lifetime Achievement in Dance was awarded to Dr Roger Wolman, for his life-changing work in the field of dance health, where he has helped hundreds of dancers back to health following injury, providing the most outstanding knowledge and support.
Andrew Hurst, Chief Executive comments “We are delighted to recognise the hard work and talent of people making a difference to the dance sector. These awards acknowledge some of the many areas of work that professionals and practitioners are involved in. We are proud to shine a light on this incredible work.”
- The Greater Manchester Award – Company Chameleon
- Outstanding Primary Dance Teaching Award – Jacqui Burrows
- Outstanding Secondary Dance Teaching Award – Gillian Lenton
- Rising Star Award (Dance Teaching) – Kieran Warner
- Dance Advocacy Award – Magpie Dance
- Inspirational Community Dance Practitioner Award – Jennie Hale
- Inspirational Work in Education Award – ACE Dance and Music
- Inspirational Lecturer at College, University or Conservatoire Award – Khyle Eccles (Trinity Laban)
- Most Supportive Senior Leader or Governor Award – Billy Downie, The Streetly Academy
- Dance Healthcare Practitioner Award – Jody Morgan
- Dance Healthcare Team Award – Physical Support Team at London Contemporary Dance School
- Research in Dance – Impact Award – Professor Emma Redding
- Dance Science Award – Professor Angela Pickard
- Outstanding Dance Programming Award – Eckhard Thiemann (The Lowry)
- Innovation in Dance Award – North East Dance Cooperative
- Dance Writing Award – Sanjoy Roy
- Dance on Screen, Impact Award – Scottish Ballet
- Best Use of Dance by a Brand – Tesco: DanceBeats
- People’s Choice Award – Javier TorresDance
- Personality of the Year Award (sponsored by The Place) – Andrew Self
- Lifetime Achievement Award in Dance of the African Diaspora (Supported By Derrick Anderson) – Funmi Adewole
- Lifetime Achievement Award in South Asian Dance (Sponsored by Akademi South Asian Dance) – Chitraleka Bolar
- Lifetime Achievement Award in Dance Education & Participation – Sujata Banerjee
- The Jane Attenborough Award – Roger Wolman
This year’s awards were supported by: Harlequin Dance Floors, Akādemi, The Place, Marquee TV, Trinity Laban, Arts Council England, Sun Vit, IWM North and ISTD.
For further information please visit the One Dance UK website.