Startin’ Point is a brand new festival curated by Hakeem “Mr Impact” Onibudo, which celebrates the connection between music and dance of the African Diaspora.
Over three days, Startin’ Point Festival will showcase work that honours African heritage. It will celebrate the contribution of national and international artists to this legacy and encourage the youth to find their voice and push the boundaries of expression.
Choreographers, companies and collectives are invited to apply with short existing works (10-20 minutes) that can be developed further and be performed at the Startin’ Point Festival at The Place on Saturday 20 October 2018.
Each of the three selected pieces will:
- Receive £1000 to assist in the development of the work to be presented at the Startin’ Point Festival.
- Receive access to rehearsal space at The Place.
- Receive 2 hours of technical rehearsal.
- Perform at the Startin’ Point Festival on 20 Oct 2018 at The Place Theatre.
- Have the opportunity to win the audience prize of £1000 on the night of the performance.
- Have the opportunity to be awarded the Startin’ Point Legacy Commission 2019.
STARTIN’ POINT LEGACY COMMISSION 2019
A panel of industry experts will watch the three works on the night of the performance. Post event, they will deliberate, meet with the artists and decide on the work they feel has the greatest potential for future development.
This choreographer will be given significant financial support and mentorship to develop the presented work into a full evening’s work and to find opportunities to present it across the UK in 2019/2020.
Where: The Place, London
Deadline for applications: Thursday 16 August 2018
How to apply: Complete the online application form and supply links to video footage here.