As a full-time dance student living in a small town in Switzerland, I have to travel a long way to get to a professional ballet class – 2.5 hours each way to be exact.
I used to lug around a heavy dance bag filled with tools, warm-ups and reading material (for my commute).
But some time ago I came to the realisation that I much prefer to travel light and actually don’t really need all the bits and bobs I carried with me.
So I paired it down to my essentials and actually switched from a bag to a backpack, as this is much better for your back and also keeps your arms and hands free (to grab that essential cup of coffee on the way to class for instance 😉 ).
I chose a black backpack because you can pair this color with basically any outfit and I like to keep things simple (including my look).
Here are my ballet bag essentials:
- Leotard, I mostly wear Yumiko but have found some other flattering brands I like made by dancers
- Pants or tights (depending on how I feel that day)
- Socks, to warm up in
- Flat shoes
- Freed pointe shoes
- Rubz ball, to roll out my feet before, during and after class. This little ball is a life saver as my feet get super tight
- Pouch containing hairbands, combe, bobbypins and perfume
- Water bottle by Swell, love this bottle as it keeps your drink cooled
- Book, for my commute
- Agenda & pen, to keep organised and jot down ideas and corrections
- Snacks: nuts, fruit and Raw Bars
As you can see, it’s pretty basic. What about you? What’s in your dance bag?